California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

I have a former staffer who does not like me. She resigned

Customer Question
I have a former staffer...
I have a former staffer who does not like me. She resigned for another job but on her way out made a number of claims against me which were severe and I believe false. It also came to my attention that she has said a lot of terrible things about me to other staff and HR has referred to her as disgruntled.
Shortly after she showed up in our offices to socialize with our current staff. A senior staffer asked if I was okay as he knows how much she "hates" me. I told him I was fine as long as she doesn't show up again. The next day she did, so I told him to make it stop.
She has not returned for several weeks but has now begun texting me saying that I'm preventing her from having fun with her friends and that she will start showing up again and that I needed to accept that.
Do I have any rights to keep her from showing up at my workplace?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: California Employment Law
10/16/2016
California Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

What was your relationship with this former staffer?

What is your job position?

What was the staffer's position?

Has this former staffer threatened your safety in any way?

Have you reported the texts to a senior staffer?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll try to be succinct.I was her manager. And when I would go out of town she would pet sit for me.My title is VP.Hers was Junior Graphic Designer.Not physically.I have reported the texts to HR. They say they do not know that we can keep her from entering the offices for our company's unofficial happy hour.A month and a half before her found another job and resigned she requested a promotion into a position on another team as she was having trouble making ends meet. I told her no as that had been temporarily vacated due to a disability leave wasn't actually available and was already being filled by a temp agency, but I would see if I could get her a mid year raise as she does great work but it might take a couple of weeks as we usually don't do mid year raises and I can't promise anything. She filed a claim against me the next day saying I create a hostile work environment and that a position should be created for her on another team and paid more money. They investigated and found it without merit but after that I had to document all dealings with her and not be alone with her as they found her to be prone to fabrications and exaggerations.Two days before she resigned she say she would no longer work with two of her team members. So when she quit our COO said we'll pay her out the two week notice she gave but she had to go right away. So I asked her to leave and had the floor cleared so she could be escorted out in private.A few days later she emailed the CEO saying she was a victim of direct retaliation by me and several other harassment charges. Ending it with saying that most staff hate me and more will quit because of it.After this she continued to show up inside our offices for our happy hour, one that takes place outside my office. I typically don't attend (e.g. drink) but I am on the floor as I work until 7-8pm at night.As I said, I asked that the main organizer of the happy hour, another VP that she not show up every time as I need some space from her for a while. She hasn't shown up since but has texted me saying she was only mad at me because I had her leave the company early and she was looking my forward to having a fun farewell. She just wants to hang out with her friends and wants a good relationship with her former workplace. And will start showing up again.Some of these friends still work for me and one has privately told me to not interact with her. The same night she was texting me being polite she was texting them that I'm a "bitch" and it's "bullshit" she can hangout inside the offices. I appreciate this worker's concern for me and respect their request that I not report their private communications with the ex-employee as they are friends. The ex-employed lover just treaty hates their old boss. I get that, but I am unsettled that that ex-employee wants to keep showing up in my workplace.Is there anything I can do?

Thank you for the information. Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, based on the information that you have provided, I do not see any recourse for you. If she is not threatening your safety or harassing you, there is nothing your employer can do to keep her from coming to your office if she is coming there to socialize with other people.

I am so sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law