How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12635
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Employment Question. I work for a local county government

This answer was rated:

Employment Question. I work for a local county government and I am being asked to have an investigative interview with an outside attorney because I have been named as the subject of a harassment and retaliation complaint alleging I engaged in harassment in the workplace. I do not know who or why I am the subject of.. but am quite frightened by the aspects of this. I take pride in getting along well with others, but haven't been in the job long, so am confused about this. Nevertheless I need my job and am somewhat worried how this will affect me. Should I hire an attorney to come with me?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California - Marin County Public Works
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Union - but I have had no dealings with the Union.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Generally in these circumstances it is unwise and unnecessary to involve an attorney as it makes it seem as though you have something to hide. You have the right to have a union rep present at the hearing. The union rep will be protecting your interests, making sure that you properly under the questions you are asked and that the questions are appropriate and relevant to the issue at hand. Should any disciplinary action actually be taken against you, it may be prudent to hire an attorney at that later point in time.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No thanks - Since I don't know what this is about yet, I will simply ask for a union representative. If I feel I am at risk after, I may give you a call.

That would typically be the best approach in terms of sticking with the union rep now and retaining counsel if this disciplinary action progresses further.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns for the time being. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq. and 2 other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Are you still with me?