California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

Unemployment benefit Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any

Customer Question
unemployment benefit Assistant: Thanks. Can...
unemployment benefit
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my parents have worked for my company for 8 years. I had to let them go because the company isn't making what we use to. I let them go a few months ago. They are going to file for unemployment benefits. There was one payroll error back at the beginning of the year where I accidentally paid them for 1/2 of their hours. I want to make up that payment but don't know how to do that so that it doesn't effect their maximum unemployment benefit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: California Employment Law
9/22/2016
California Employment Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because your payment to them will be to correct an accounting error that occurred during a time that they were still actively employed by you and they were not receiving unemployment benefits, the payment will not be deemed as present wages for present work by unemployment and therefore it will not negatively effect their unemployment benefits.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney