California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I was let go from my job on 12/23/2015 because there was no…

Customer Question
I was let go from...
I was let go from my job on 12/23/2015 because there was no work for me to do. One 12/23/15 I went to my boss and told him I was all caught up with my work and ask if he had something for me to do and after a long conversation he told me that he did not have any work for me and I was no longer needed. I know there was work at that office. He told me he would have the manager prepare my check and he would pay me for the full day. I just received a notice from EDD that states I am not eligible for unemployment under section 1256, Section 1260A, section 1257A and section 1260D. My former employer told EDD that I quit without a reason preventing him from solving the problem. What does all this mean?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
3/5/2016
California Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

It means that you need to quickly file an appeal from the denial of your application for benefits to tell your side, to tell unemployment that your employer lied, that you did not quit (section 1256) and therefore you did not make false claim (section 1257A) that you were laid off when you applied for unemployment benefits. You must file your appeal within 30 days of the date of mailing of the notice to you-- within 30 days of the date on the notice, NOT from the date you received the notice. For more information, click on the link below:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/First_Level_Appeal.htm