California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

What can you do when an employer refuses to send W2 to you.

Customer Question
what can you do when an employer refuses to send W2 to you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
3/2/2016
California Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If your employer has failed to provide a W2, you need to call the IRS at the following phone number:(###) ###-#### ***** you call, be sure to have available your employer's name, employer ID number if you have it.

The IRS will send a letter to your employer demanding that they provide you a Form W-2 to you within ten days. The letter will further advise your employer of their responsibilities to provide a correct Form W-2 and of the penalties for failure to do so.

The IRS will also send you a letter that provides instructions for filling out a Form 4852, which is the IRS tax form you will need to fill out if your employer ignores the IRS's request for them to provide your W-2. Essentially, a Form 4852 is a substitute W-2 which you fill out yourself when you are unable to obtain a W-2. Here is a link to the Form 4852, but note that you will not want to fill this form out and submit it until your employer has denied the IRS's request for them to correct your W-2.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Were you able to view my answer?

Hello again, I haven't heard back from you and just wanted to follow up. Are you getting my messages? Is there anything more I can do to assist you?