California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

If someone in California just works a 2.5 hour shift, is it…

Customer Question
If someone in California just...
If someone in California just works a 2.5 hour shift, is it the law that you have to pay them for 4 hours?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
3/2/2016
California Employment Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

There is no minimum number of hours that an employer must schedule an employee for in a shift (so if your employer has scheduled you for 2.5 hours, that is all that they must pay you).

However, if you are scheduled for a longer shift (for example an 8 hour shift), and the employer sends you home after 2.5 hours because they are overstaffed, then you are entitled to 4 hours pay for "reporting hours." See: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_reportingtimepay.htm