California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I need help getting my husbands retirement from D.W.P. LA.

Customer Question
We were married 46 years...
I need help getting my husbands retirement from D.W.P. LA. We were married 46 years and the surviving spouse was to receive full retirement upon the death of the other. We took less money to get this. He retired 2003 and we have both received one half our monthly checks for 10 years. He died Valentines Day and they told me no more income. I went to court to get a divorce in 2006 and was told my retirement was approved by the judge.
Since I had been receiving income everything should be fine.
I am handicapped and have no other income and I'm 73 years old.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
2/23/2016
California Employment Lawyer: PaulmoJD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
PaulmoJD
PaulmoJD, Attorney
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What did the pension agreement you had state, because most of these agreements payments terminate upon cohabitation or death of the spouse, you need to go back and read your pension agreement from the court awarding you the pension?