California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I left a company October 1,2015 and the incentive comp plan…

Customer Question
I left a company October...
I left a company October 1,2015 and the incentive comp plan states that employees who chose to leave before issuance of an incentive award check will forfeit the incentive award. However I did participate in 2 advance payments on my 2015 award in June & September. I live in California and the company is headquartered in Kansas, California being a right to work state do I have any entitlement to my 9 months of award compensation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
2/18/2016
California Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. While I can understand your logic, if your agreement says that incentive comp will be forfeited then that would control. The fact your employer may have made past exceptions would not render your agreement void. Therefore I don't see any legal basis for a legal action to compel payment. I am sorry. Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Was there anything else I can do to assist you?

No thank you for your answer I really appreciate your expertise

You are very welcome. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. This is the only way that I am paid for my time and so is much appreciated.

Very best wishes.