California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

The president of my former employment was let go by the

Customer Question
board of directors. Shortly afterwards...
The president of my former employment was let go by the board of directors. Shortly afterwards I was let go with no reason. The president of the company was my brother in law. I was a regional manager for the last 2 1/2 years and before that I had moved to Australia to open the warehouse and to find and train the employees there. Before that I was doing store audits around the country. I believe I was let go out of retaliation of who I was related to. I have no previous write up on work performance. I had the only region that had managers in every store. Unlike the ones that are still there. Every region except mine had an empty manager spot. I feel it was unjust and was let go with no compensation.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
I was in charge of 14 stores in the NW and Canada *at the end of December I was put in charge of 12 more stores that had problems from the previous regional manager. At the end I had 26 stores under me.
I am 49 and will be 50 next month and I feel I was let go out of retaliation.
2/14/2016
California Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, the general rule is that employment in the state of TX is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

This means an employee can be let go for the reasons you describe. It does not matter that you had no history of performance issues, or that the termination was purely political. Who you are related to is not a legally protected trait, and the retaliation you describe is not retaliation for engaging in a legally protected activity.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand why you are upset and agree that your termination was highly unfair. It just doesn't violate any laws, and all I can do is explain that to you. You should not have any trouble getting approved for unemployment benefits as you search for new work.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Were you able to view my answer?

Thank you.

I am very glad I could help. Please do not forget to rate my service to you if you do not require further assistance. This is the only way that I am paid for my time and so is very much appreciated.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend.