California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I worked staffing company as an independent contractor doing…

Customer Question
I worked for a staffing...
I worked for a staffing company as an independent contractor doing vendor support/sales for various products.
The staffing company stopped paying all their reps. They are from Utah. The work I did was in Concord, Vallejo, and Richmond, Ca
I was told to file a mechanics lien to get the money owed to me.
Is this correct?
What I heard was is what the company did falls under Ponzi scam and is criminal, not civil. The unpaid employees are beginning to file with FBI.
Is there a step to take to get unpaid wages from them?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
1/26/2016
California Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear this. You would have to file a lawsuit to get the wages that are owed. Depending on the amount, you could try small claims court or regular district court. It appears to fall under both criminal and civil liability. The challenge is if they have all disappeared or filed bankruptcy then there is no money to even pursue.