How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 2156
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked staffing company as an independent contractor doing

Customer Question

I worked for a staffing company as an independent contractor doing vendor support/sales for various products.
The staffing company stopped paying all their reps. They are from Utah. The work I did was in Concord, Vallejo, and Richmond, Ca
I was told to file a mechanics lien to get the money owed to me.
Is this correct?
What I heard was is what the company did falls under Ponzi scam and is criminal, not civil. The unpaid employees are beginning to file with FBI.
Is there a step to take to get unpaid wages from them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this. You would have to file a lawsuit to get the wages that are owed. Depending on the amount, you could try small claims court or regular district court. It appears to fall under both criminal and civil liability. The challenge is if they have all disappeared or filed bankruptcy then there is no money to even pursue.

Related California Employment Law Questions