Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

What are the steps to applying if I believe the company's

Customer Question

What are the steps to applying for unemployment if I believe the company's reasoning for terminating me weren't right or if they told me they would not consent to unemployment. They terminated me close to the holidays and I have been unable to find any full time jobs since then. I am pretty much on my last string of money and don't know if it is already too late to apply for unemployment.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear that you were let go. The good news is that it definitely is not too late to apply for unemployment benefits. Moreover, unless your employer can prove that you were terminated for reasons amounting to "misconduct" (meaning an intentional or reckless disregard for the interests of the company), then the state will approve you for benefits. Your employer does not need to "consent" to you getting benefits. The decision to award benefits is entirely made by the State.

You want to apply as soon as possible, as you cannot receive benefits retroative from the date of your termination, you can only receive benefits from the time you apply onward. So, each day you don't apply is a day you lose out on potential benefits. You can get your claim started online right here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.