How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a full-time caregiver (age 73) whose rent is part of s

Customer Question

Hi, I am a full-time caregiver (age 73) whose rent is part of his caregiver compensation. Recently I discovered that my job is covered under CA minimum wage law. If so I have been underpaid by more than $100,000 in the past three years. Additionally, the person for whom I care (91) has a grandson, who lives next door in a duplex. Recently, he has come into the house on several occasions without notification. He says that his grandfather gave him permission to come and go. The grandfather has full-blown dementia, and could not reasonably give such permission. However, the daughter-in-law and mother of the grandson has power of attorney (I think.) She has never entered the house without calling. Where can I find an attorney who can write a letter for me, and perhaps also request back compensation under CA statute. I am being forced to submit a resignation, and have no place to go. Bob Murphy,(###) ###-####***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You may file a claim with the CA Division of Labor Standards Enforcement for up to 3 years back wages and overtime ( and you can also recover penalties (up to 3 times the wages due as damages). You can do this without an attorney and can contact them directly.
Unfortunately, this will not stop you from being asked to resign or forced to move and the claim can take them 6 months or so to complete and pursue payment from them over.
If you still need a local employment law attorney, you can get one at the same sites used by other attorneys, or