Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer.
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

Can an employer payout a few days of vacation to one

Customer Question

Can an employer payout a few days of vacation to one employee who, due to the need for the employee to delay taking vacation days, now faces a loss of those vacation days because the maximum accrued hours of vacation the company permits will be reached here at year end?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

The employer can pay pout such vacation days but is not required to pay out accrued vacation days to current employees unless they are terminated or quit the employment.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I wanted an answer for had to do with knowing if an employer, who did not have a company-wide policy on paying out accrued vacation days for employees who could not use them because the company needed the employee to continue working on an assignment and now the employee had reached the maximum accrued vacation days allowed by the company, if the employer could pay out a few vacation days to that employee at 100% of their pay rate or if that then caused the employer legal problems because it was not a company policy to do so. If the employer could do such a payout, would it have to be limited to, say, 90% of the pay rate?

Would a straight company bonus to this employee be less complicated and fulfill the purpose?