socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Can my employer approve ad then deny my vacation

Customer Question

can my employer approve ad then deny my vacation
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

The general answer, is "yes," the employer can deny you vacation time, even after approving it.

You could quit your job, and the employer would have to pay you in cash for all of the unused vacation. But, until you either quit or you are laid off, the employer can refuse to grant you vacation time, unless you have an agreement to the contrary.

If there is an employee handbook in which the rules for vacation time are stated, and the employer violates those rules, then that would be a sufficient agreement, and you could sue the employer for breach of contract. But, you need something in writing to prove that you had the contractual right to vacation time, and that the employer violated your right.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!