LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I am on California State Disability and am receiving

Customer Question

I am on California State Disability and am receiving benefits starting May 11, 2015. On September 7 my employer did not terminate my employment at that time. They also violated the California Cobra law by not giving me the advance notice required by the state prior to terminating my medical benefits. I essentially never received notice that my medical insurance was cancelled on July 31st, 2015 until in and around September 10th. In the interim I was uninsured and incurred major medical bills. CAL-COBRA will retroactively cover those bills but I am locked into a coverage rate for 5 months until January 1st 2016. However the cost of CAL COBRA is $1,350 per month. Because of the failure to comply with CAL COBRA laws I had to go with CAL COBRA to retroactively cover the August and September Medical bills. Had I gone with the state exchanges, my premiums would have been approximately $300 per month. But I would have been liable for the very substantial August and September medical bi
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your specific question for us on this matter?