How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39039
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently got a copy of my medical and personal file in it

Customer Question

I recently got a copy of my medical and personal file in it there is a report done by a private investigator saying I do drugs and start fight and dress bizarre. These files have been sent to address not valid plus sent to doctors and Lawyers and I am in a 12 year workers co.p case still going to court on.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.


What is the question you have about your circumstances?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this a slander or libel case? I just read a article on line that is almost exactly what has been me I am out workers comp. And I have been since 2002 .They hired private eyes twice would I be able to scan the 1 page for you to check out this report probably should have never been mixed with records that I received. There a mixing of a other person same name same company but regardless the company never checked for accuracy I drive a tractor trailer these claim would make it impossible to ever be hired for that job so is this a really good case to take forward . I am being long winded but may send the firstly page of the report thanks .
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thanks.

Libel is a false statement of reputation injuring fact published to a third party and causing damages. If the report makes false statements about you, and that damages your reputation, then you have an action for libel against the private investigation agency. You would only have an action against the employer, if the employer distributes the report to a third party, such as a new prospective employer.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!