How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20400
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tina, I recently left my previous job due to false

Customer Question

Hi Tina,
I recently left my previous job due to false information and hiring practices. My former company is asking me to repay a 12,000 dollar sign on bonus which I feel I shouldn't have too because of the money they cost me through miss information. what should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.


Thank you for the information and your question, unfortunately Tina is not available to assist you. No one, especially someone who is not not your attorney and who does not have all of the facts, can tell you what to do. I can discuss the law and your options, but that is the ethical limits we can go.

If the employer actually breached their part o the contract, then that would be a defense to repayment of a sign on bonus. Normally though, the terms of a sign on bonus are enforceable against the employee if they don't satisfy the requirements to avoid repayment. If you do believe the employer breached the contract or committed fraud, you are best served to hire an attorney to represent your position in negotiations with the employer. Otherwise, if you do not repay the money, the employer may file suit and, at that point, you will need to hire an attorney to defend the suit.

Your other option is to pay it and then file suit against them for breach or fraud. Please let me know if you need any clarification.

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 21st. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.