socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Code says department of labor can give a 85% of minimum wage

Customer Question

code says department of labor can give a 85% of minimum wage instead of 100% to qualifying nonprofit corp. does a church qualify
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is "no."

U.S. Department of Labor regulations do not apply in California, to the extent that California Labor regulations provide more protection to California employees. California Labor law has never provided an exemption from the minimum wage for religious organizations. DLSE Opinion Letter 1988.10.27.

I realize that my answer may not be exactly what you were hoping to read. However, under the circumstances, the best that I can do is to explain what the law is and is not, so that you can avoid expending valuable resources looking for answers that do not exist, and concentrate on the options that are actually available.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Do you need further clarification, or is my answer satisfactory?