jaccorps_esq
jaccorps_esq, Lawyer.
Experience:  Attorney with prior California employment law issues.
20011183

En, I was just told that in February 2016 that my job would

Customer Question

Hi Allen, I was just told that in February 2016 that my job would be sent to Denver Colorado. currently we are located in San Juan Bautista California, I have been offered a retention package and a Severance package to stay until that date. I am very cautious of the terminplogy in this contract, and because I don't have a legal back round I am seeking legal advice
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  jaccorps_esq replied 2 years ago.

This was originally classified in California employment law, which is why I left it alone. After it has been there for a while, it has been transferred to general Legal, so I can address it.

I'm not sure where you ave heard or have seen the idea that people may be entitled to one year of severance (up to 10 years) for each year of service. I have literally never seen anyone receive anything even remotely close to that figure. That is an exceedingly large severance and would bankrupt any company that offered that as a matter of course. There is certainly no law that would require that sort of severance.

In truth, receiving one week of severance for each year of your service is even above the norm, considering that severance is not legally required in any state in the country.