How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12494
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My company advised me they will no longer keep an office in

Customer Question

My company advised me they will no longer keep an office in LA which they said is "unfortunate for me". They are headquartered in DC. We are a real estate development firm. I told them realistically for me to finish my work closing out contracts on a hotel I am renovating for them, I'd need through the end of October which they just agreed to do. However, since this is not a matter of me choosing to leave them, I would expect the vacation time I've accrued (3 weeks) would become available to me at the end of October by California law. Do I have the correct assumption?
I haven't taken a vacation since I began with them and lost 2 weeks accrued in the beginning of the year. I really need that 3 weeks when I finish. (that is, I had 5, gave up 2 as is their policy, but reality was I was precluded by deadlines from taking it).
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If you are working within the state of California, which I presume from your post, California employment law applies to your employment. As you seem to already understand, CA law provides that employers must pay a terminated employee's accrued vacation immediately upon separation of employment. If your employer fails to do this, you can file a wage claim with the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement. They will order your employer to pay the vacation plus costly penalties for their failure to do so in a timely manner. To file a wage claim with the DLSE, visit this link:

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.