Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am a Production Manager at a small manufaturing company.

Customer Question

I am a Production Manager at a small manufaturing company. I'm seeing signs that I will be fired. My direct supervisor and I have not gotten along for a long time. Although I try very hard. She always tries to discredit me as an under performer, especially
in front of others. Has yelled at me or puts me on the spot in front of co-workers and lower ranked employees. I'm a good employee, always giving full effort and work more (unpaid) hours than anyone at my level. I was Manager of the Year two years ago. I went
to HR once and they told me to talk to her boss. I did, but that made matters worse. He had a meeting with us and she denied evrything. Since then, our (my bosses boss too) relationship is worse. In the last couple of weeks, my bosses boss has been less friendlier
with me. My boss has been emailing me (instead of talking) everything she finds wrong and cc her boss. She is constanly looking and finding something, now daily. Last week they fired another Manager the day he was leaving for vaction, without warning. He was
told the company wants to move in a different direction. Since he left, I'm getting a lot of attention and feel like a target. All in Emails and cc to the bosses boss. I think she is building a case in writting. I don't want to be fired. I am not prepaired
financially. I'm nervous all the time, thinking this is my last day or what will be the next email or discredit meeting. Is there anything I can do? Thank you for your help.
Category: California Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, would like to know if I went back to HR, will it make any difference? Or does it sound like it is just a matter of time...I'm thinking this Friday since it starts a new pay period. I'm very nervous and stressed.Thank you again.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

[Response 1: I am sorry to read about your difficulties. There is really nothing you can do except try to do your job the best that you can. If you are still terminated inspite of your efforts, then you can file for unemployment benefits. So long as you have worked enough hours to be eligible and so long as you are not terminated because of misconduct, you would be able to collect unemployment benefits. For more information, click on the link below:
http://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Misconduct_MC_5.htm
You cannot be on the edge all the time waiting for the other shoe to drop. If you are extremely nervous, ironically you are more likely to make mistakes, which would then give your bosses the opportunity to terminate you.
Also, would like to know if I went back to HR, will it make any difference? Or does it sound like it is just a matter of time...I'm thinking this Friday since it starts a new pay period. I'm very nervous and stressed.
Thank you again.

Response 2: If your bosses are hostile to you, the only place to go in the initial stages is your Human Resources Department (“HR”). Whether it would make a difference—whether HR would force your bosses to be behave, I cannot guarantee you that. However, if you are not happy and believe that you are being treated unfairly by your bosses, you need to file complaint with HR even if your HR would not listen you. You may also ask the HR to escalate the matter to higher level in the organization.