How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 39027
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a bookkeeper attorney that had an accident and is now

Customer Question

I am a bookkeeper for an attorney that had an accident and is now being put in long term care. I only work for him on a part time basis as I already have a full time job. We need to close his business but worried about who will handle getting the payroll closed out and final quarter and year to date reports done, plus year end W2's. Then there are the year end 1099's to be done and his CPA to do a final return. My concern is they close the doors and no more computers to access the data and complete this type of work after the fact.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.


Ordinarily, a conservator appointed by the probate division of the Superior Court would have authority to close down the law practice. However, if there is no conservator appointed, and no one is interested in taking over responsibility for the attorney's estate, then you can contact the State Bar of California(###) ###-####, and request assistance. The chief trial lawyer for the State Bar has the authority to ask the Superior Court to permit the Bar to take over responsibility for the law practice, pursuant to Bus. & Prof. Code Section 6190 et seq.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!