socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am a bookkeeper attorney that had an accident and is now

Customer Question

I am a bookkeeper for an attorney that had an accident and is now being put in long term care. I only work for him on a part time basis as I already have a full time job. We need to close his business but worried about who will handle getting the payroll closed out and final quarter and year to date reports done, plus year end W2's. Then there are the year end 1099's to be done and his CPA to do a final return. My concern is they close the doors and no more computers to access the data and complete this type of work after the fact.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.

Ordinarily, a conservator appointed by the probate division of the Superior Court would have authority to close down the law practice. However, if there is no conservator appointed, and no one is interested in taking over responsibility for the attorney's estate, then you can contact the State Bar of California(###) ###-####, and request assistance. The chief trial lawyer for the State Bar has the authority to ask the Superior Court to permit the Bar to take over responsibility for the law practice, pursuant to Bus. & Prof. Code Section 6190 et seq.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!