Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I resigned from my job in stress because my daughter was very

Customer Question

I resigned from my job in stress because my daughter was very sick and i could not hundle her and my job. Little did i know that i should have taken a sick leave. Now i am jobless and she is stll sick admitted in a hospital. I do not know wht to do.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your first option here is to file with EDD for short term disability based on the fact you cannot work because you are forced to care for a sick child.
I am afraid your only remaining option if short term disability is denied would have to try to apply for unemployment now and convince unemployment that you quit for good cause related to your employment and try to get those benefits. It is a long shot because you quit for personal stress, but legally it is your only realistic chance for unemployment.