How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19285
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got sued by an emplyee regarding workers' comp. I did not

Customer Question

I got sued by an emplyee regarding workers' comp. I did not buy workers' compensation then. Now he wants to dismiss the case. What should he do to to dismiss the case. He does not want to go to his lawyer again. I will pay him some money to settle. Yur
response is appreciated. King
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, the employee would have to go through his Attorney to dismiss the case. If you two are working out a settlement behind the Attorney's back, that would create a big mess for your employee. The Attorney would go after him for his part of the settlement. To avoid a big headache, your employee needs to candidly speak with his Attorney and let him know that he no longer wants to proceed with the lawsuit. The Attorney MUST honor his request—the Attorney cannot proceed with the case if your employee no longer wants to do so.

Related California Employment Law Questions