Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Is there a minimum hours off between shifts in california?I

Customer Question

Is there a minimum hours off between shifts in california?I am scheduled until 1030pm one day and scheduled at 600am the next day.Is this legal?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Unfortunately, there are no restrictions on back to back shifts. The only restriction, if you can call it that, is that employees must be paid overtime for hours worked in excess of 8 per workday. The default workday ends at midnight. So, if an employee works a shift that extends into the next work day and then works an 8 hours shift the next work day, the would be entitled to overtime for the number of hours that extended past midnight on the previous night shift. But aside from this overtime requirement, the law does not limit an employer with respect to scheduling back to back shifts. Of course, an employer who regularly demands these sort of shifts from their employees will wind up having a very high turnover rate and low employee morale, ultimately to the detriment of the company's productivity, but no law prevents an employer from running their business into the ground like this. all you can do is attempt to express your concerns to your employer or seek alternative employment with more reasonable and consistent hours. I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.