TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I have a contract that requires a performance bond. The general

Customer Question

I have a contract that requires a performance bond. The general contractor allowed
us to nearly complete half of the job while we tried to obtain the bond. We are unable to get the bond due to our credit. Now, the general contractor refused to
pay for our progress and says will not pay until the bond is provided. Shouldn't
the work we completed be paid for since they allowed us to continue without the
bond?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. The answer depends on whether you are merely an hourly wage earner, or a subcontractor. If you are an hourly worker, then you must be paid. However, if you are considered a subcontractor, then you must have a license. In order to have a license, you must have a bond. And finally, if you are not licensed, then you are not legally entitled to be paid for your work. A "contractor" or "subcontractor," is any person who undertakes to or offers to undertake to, or purports to have the capacity to undertake to, or submits a bid to, or does himself or herself or by or through others, construct, alter, repair, add to, subtract from, improve, move, wreck or demolish any building, highway, road, parking facility, railroad, excavation or other structure, project, development or improvement. I am truly sorry that my answer may be bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.