How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12250
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work all last year as a caregiver man. His daughters

Customer Question

I work all last year as a caregiver for a man. His daughters had a accountant give me a 1099 misc. I now am jobless because he died. I went to work from 8-8 four days a week all year long. I tried to file unemployment and it came back with 0 wage allowance. So can I do it or not?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. If you were given a 1099, that means that you were not considered an employee. Instead, you were considered an independent contractor, which would make you ineligible for unemployment compensation.I am truly sorry that my answer may be bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

Related California Employment Law Questions