California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

My employer put a list out on front desk to claim a nurses…

Customer Question
my employer put a list...
my employer put a list out on front desk to claim a nurses week present with everyone's hourly rate beside names on sheet, for the entire building, in alphabetical order
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
6/17/2015
California Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Patrick, Esq.
Good evening and welcome. I am sorry to hear about this understandably frustrating incident. I assume that your question is whether what you describe violates any law.
That being your question, I must unfortunately tell you it does not. The reason is because employees have no legally enforceable expectation of privacy with regard to what they are paid. Normally, salaries are kept private, but no law requires that. Technically, your employer wouldn't be breaking the law by publishing the list of salaries on the front page of the New York Times. Therefore, I'm sorry to say but an employee in your circumstance would not have any legal recourse arising from this incident.
I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Hello again,
I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.
Very best wishes.