California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

I need a California attorney to give me a legal description…

Customer Question
I need a California attorney...
I need a California attorney to give me a legal description of harassment
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
6/8/2015
California Employment Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. I would like to assist you today. Responses may have a short delay for review and research.
There are a couple of different contexts in which "harassment" comes up in California:
The California Courts have the best resources for harassment (if you are looking to get a restraining order or similar protection against an individual). See: http://www.courts.ca.gov/1258.htm.
If you are looking for harassment law as it relates to employment, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing has a similar resource: http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/res/docs/Publications/DFEH-162.pdf.pdf
Most conduct that is legally actionable "harassment" falls into one of these two categories. Other conduct that is obnoxious or annoying can be dealt with using other causes of action, but some conduct that is socially unwanted is still protected speech and therefore a person can exercise free speech in an annoying, but not threatening manner.
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney