California Employment Law

Have California employment law questions? Ask a lawyer.

Do part time employees get paid the same as full time employees…

Customer Question
do part time employees get...
do part time employees get paid the same as full time employees for work that is equal in skills
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
6/1/2015
California Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer
Hello, Both full and part time hourly employees must be paid at lease minimum wage plus overtime. Skill level has no part in the legal calculation -- though it may have some influence on the employer's decision to pay greater or lesser wages. However, a salary-exempt employee (i.e., an employee who is exempt from overtime pay) must be paid at least twice minimum wage for 40 hours per month (and much more, if the employee is a computer hardware or software engineer). So, if a part-time employee has the same skills as a full-time salary exempt, then the full time employee could be paid more per hour than the part time employee. I have a feeling that you have some underlying question here. Feel free to ask, a follow-up if you do. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using justanswer.com!