How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37790
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just researching about retirement from the federal government

Customer Question

Just researching about retirement from the federal government and eligibility for unemployment.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My Federal employment is a Term Limited Appointment of Excepted Service
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. Thank you for asking for me. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
The Unemployment Compensation for Federal Employees program provides benefits for eligible unemployed former civilian Federal employees. The program is administered by States as agents of the Federal government. This program is operated under the same terms and conditions that apply to regular State Unemployment Insurance (see State Unemployment Insurance). In general, the law of the State in which your last official duty station in Federal civilian service was located will be the State law that determines eligibility for unemployment insurance benefits.
So, if your contract is not renewed and you are let go, yes, you may seek unemployment benefits while looking for new employment.
However, do keep in mind that if you take your federal retirement at the same time you are collecting unemployment benefits, you must report that fact to unemployment and your unemployment benefits will be reduced based on the fact that you are receiving a retirement benefit from an employer who is in your base period for unemployment.
If you are not taking a federal retirement benefit when your contract ends, then you may file for unemployment and be paid the full amount that you have earned---which is typically about 60% of your weekly income you earned while employed, up to a maximum of $450.00 per week.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, be sure to rate my service to you. That is the only way that I am compensated for assisting you with your questions.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Related California Employment Law Questions