How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 50 year old women that is in menopause and have

Customer Question

Hello, I am a 50 year old women that is in menopause and have been for the last 4 years. I have worked for a major food company for 24 years in california. I have depression and I am not motivated at work and it is very noticeable as my reviews have been poor. I am thinking I need to go on long term disability and make a change. I cannot take any hormonal medication due to my mom having breast cancer and uterine cancer is in my family. So I am facing menopause cold turkey. I have tried natural supplements but it is becoming overwhelming now. My regular Dr put me on Zoloft for,the past 2 years and it helps a little. What can I do, I have always enjoyed my job and where I work, I just do not feel like I am motivated to do my job. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:
What do you wish to achieve under these circumstances? Do you know whether you qualify for short or long term disability?
I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Honestly, I think I need a break and get through menopause. I need to look into my options. I have been paying on long term and short term for 24 years, it covers 60% of my pay.
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
I see.
I would talk to your doctor and make sure your conditions are well documented since the medical records are what the insurer will look to when determining your eligibility for short or long term disability. You would typically apply for short-term disability and then have your condition re-evaluated periodically by your doctors to determine the next step.
You can also request FMLA from your employer for up to 12 weeks, which protects you from being terminated for requesting or taking such leave. It should give you a breather to reassess your treatment options and how to proceed in the weeks to come.
Here is a link which provides information about FMLA leave for your reference:
The state also has short term disability benefits for up to a year, so that is something you should consider when applying for benefits.
I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!

Related California Employment Law Questions