California Employment Law

My 50 yr. old daughter worked in a neighborhood laundromat,

working approx. 38 hrs. a...
working approx. 38 hrs. a week. Owner sold the business & she lost her job. She filed for unemployment. The owner she'd been working for has another laundry in town & offered her job in other
laundry working 18-20 hrs. a week. She's making the same hourly pay but obviously much less per week since her hours are almost cut in... Read full answer
My 50 yr. old daughter worked in a neighborhood laundromat, working approx. 38 hrs. a week. Owner sold the business & she lost her job. She filed for unemployment. The owner she'd been working for has another laundry in town & offered her job in other
laundry working 18-20 hrs. a week. She's making the same hourly pay but obviously much less per week since her hours are almost cut in half. The unemployment office here told her she has to accept this 20hr. wk. job since he is offering her the same pay. That
can't be right, can it? The hourly rate is the same but he's not paying her the same because she's working fewer hours. Is this just a miscommunication or can she collect unemployment?
2/7/2015
Patrick, Esq.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
Unfortunately, the unemployment regulations do not permit claimants to refuse offers of suitable work (which this would be if it's at the same rate of pay performing the same essential job duties) and collect unemployment instead. This does not necessarily mean that your daughter is completely ineligible for unemployment, but simply that the amount in benefits she would have been entitled to will be OFFSET by her earnings.
The thing is, the maximum you can receive in unemployment benefits in TN is $275 (most employees get less than that as it is based on your earnings as an employee), and so most employees--even those working part time--will exceed their benefits threshhold and then be disqualified because they are earning more than they would have been entitled to receive.
See here to calculate what your daughter would receive in UI benefits based on her earnings: http://www.unemployment-benefits.org/tennessee-unemployment-benefits If she is making more than that now, she will be disqualified for benefits. If it's any consolation she shouldn't be too upset about this, though, since she is earning more than she would otherwise be receiving in government assistance and so will be better of financially with this part-time job (at least until she finds a better one) than she would be on unemployment.
I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Patrick, Esq.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a question about underemployment. I have been working
I have been working for a consulting company under an agreement of 24 hours of work per work for a little over a year. In June, I was told the company did not have enough client work coming in for me to work those hours. Since June, I was told I could work only 12 hrs week as billable work allows, but have been allowed to work only from @ 10 hrs a week to as few as 1.5 hrs. It is unsustainable. Is it possible to receive compensation? … read more
legalg
legalg
Other,
Following up on our discussion about overtime, I've put
Hi Patrick, following up on our discussion about overtime, I've put together a basic outline of what i expect to pay a janitor working at two different wage rates:1) First four hours of the day in San… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Lawyer,
Re Salaried Employee - How to calculate hourly pay and
Re Salaried Employee - How to calculate hourly pay and vacation pay. At my past job I was hired as a salaried employee. The employer did some strange things re my earnings: I was hired at an annual sa… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
California - Hourly vs Salaried employee I accepted a job
California - Hourly vs Salaried employee I accepted a job that was described in writing as Salaried. The job offer was sent as a text message and included the annual Salary, hours 6-4 (45 hr/wk), Medi… read more
legalg
legalg
Other,
I'm putting in my official notice to leave the below described
I'm putting in my official notice to leave the below described position, giving a 30 day notice as of March 1, 2015. The trustee of an elderly client is refusing to give me any more checks (not coveri… read more
Attorney,
Dear Attorney (Patrick), 1. Can I know, what will be minimum
Dear Attorney (Patrick), 1. Can I know, what will be minimum annual salary for an exempt-employee working in Bay Area, CA effective July 1, 2014? 2. My general manager works as full time employee at m… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Lawyer,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My close friends husband suddenly became very ill. Her employers,
My close friend's husband suddenly became very ill. Her employers, an optometry practice in California ["Practice"] allowed her to work when she could for about a month because they are good people. H… read more
Joseph
Joseph
Attorney at Law,
Hired an employee to work part-time, she was working for another
Hired an employee to work part-time, she was working for another company at the time of hire and continued her employment with us and the other company. A year after we hired her, her other employer l… read more
Joseph
Joseph
Attorney at Law,
I have a dispute with my employer as to whether Im eligible
I have a dispute with my employer as to whether I'm eligible for severance pay. I've worked the graveyard position for this company almost 20 years. Now, the company has decided to change the store to… read more
Joseph
Joseph
Attorney at Law,
my wife works for a company in San Francisco . Has been there
my wife works for a company in San Francisco . Has been there about 4 years. Was hired as part time working 24 hours. After a year+ of working 40 hours and getting paid for 24, the finally agreed to r… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Lawyer,
I am the owner of a Feed Store. We are slow, and want to cut
I am the owner of a Feed Store. We are slow, and want to cut back on an employee's hours. She currently is full time, and is given an allowance for Insurance. What are the laws if I hired her original… read more
Joseph
Joseph
Attorney at Law,
My roommate works for a small property management company.
My roommate works for a small property management company. They get all holidays off and paid. Today, her boss announced that she has chosen to close the day after Thanksgiving as well as the paid Tha… read more
Joseph
Joseph
Attorney at Law,
Stop searching for answers—
Hi - I have an employee who has been working for me for five
Hi - I have an employee who has been working for me for five years now. She is a very good employee and I value her greatly! I have been paying her a very competitve weekly salary since the beginning … read more
Attorney,
I was forced to resign from my job. I had an unreasonable
I was forced to resign from my job. I had an unreasonable workload for an hourly employee, I was constantly being asked to “think about if the job is a good fit for you”, I was constantly being spoken… read more
Joseph
Joseph
Attorney at Law,
In CA labor how many hours worked per week signifies full-time
In CA labor how many hours worked per week signifies full-time and what for part-time? The reason I ask is in defining which of my employees is eligible for health insurance and who is not. Upon my cu… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Lawyer,
I am a restaurant owner in California, and have 3 managers
I am a restaurant owner in California, and have 3 managers working under salary wages ($900/wk for the general manager, $550/wk for the jr. manager, and $600/wk for the chef.) We also give them genero… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Lawyer,
I was fired August 10 without just cause and have received
I was fired August 10 without just cause and have received unemployment benefits since then despite my former employer's appeal to California EDD. I am receiving the maximum weekly benefit based on a … read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Lawyer,
My Wife was a salried mgr. who took medical leave for surgery.
My Wife was a salried mgr. who took medical leave for surgery. Before she left for surgery, her company said that they were going to make her hourly, just in case she would not be able to return to 40… read more