How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was injured on the job

Customer Question

I was injured on the job I was receiving workers compensation benefits and then they stopped. I have been in touch with a attorney to get benefits resumed. Waiting to here if the employer's attornery will go into mediation. Currently receiving unemployment for income. Im a owner of a business business do I have to report my net/loss profits at the end of the the year to workers comp state pa???

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under the social security system, if you are unable to perform your regular job duties and are out on temporary disability and receiving weekly benefits because of your work-related injury, you cannot work in another job---even a self employment job. However, if you are released to light duty or otherwise allowed by your physician to participate in your person, self employment business, you must report any income earned to your employer or their workers' compensation insurer. Failure to do so could result in civil or criminal penalties.

If you are not actively participating in yourself employment business, but merely receiving passive income from that business---like you might from a rental unit that you don’t actively manage---then that income need not be reported. All income that you earn through active employment while receiving workers' compensation benefits must be reported though. The report should be made weekly, not annually. The income reported is your net income, after business expenses.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.


Related California Employment Law Questions