How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a substitute teacher in California (Berryessa School District).

This answer was rated:

I am a substitute teacher in California (Berryessa School District). I was sent a letter that informed me my services was "no longer required". When I called the District office, they said there were complaints about me from several schools. I asked them what was the nature of the complaints. They could not tell me what they were. At the end of the conversation the woman said she will try to see if additional information can be given to me. But during my three plus years serving in this District I was NEVER given a warning or reprimand. Can they end my employment with them without warning that I've not done a good job?

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, unless you are unionized (or have an employment contract with your employer), your employer can terminate you at any time for any reason (or none at all) with or without any prior notice. So, unfortunately, no it's not necessary for you to receive any prior warning before being terminated.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at
the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a
specified term means an employment for a period greater than one

I hope the above information is helpful, although I realize it is not what you wanted to hear. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate an honest and direct answer to your question. It would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. (It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit). Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey.

Thanks and best of luck!


Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought the teachers in California were part of a union. Or is only full time teachers? Also what would be considered a contract?

You would definitely know if you were a member of a union, since dues would be deducted from your pay.

Yes, normally only full-time teachers are included as union members.

I'm not sure what you mean by what would be considered a contract. You'd also know if you had one. They are extremely rare, since most employers want to keep employment as at-will.

All that said, you can and should contact the union to make sure you're not a member and cannot file a grievance regarding your termination.