How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a legal question about an employee. I have an employee

This answer was rated:

I have a legal question about an employee. I have an employee who is a good worker but continuously apprears inappropiately dress for her job. I provide the employees uniforms but the difficutly is that the employee's hair style appears unkept most days. My question is legally how can I inform this employee that her hair looks bad from a employer to employee and also informing her from a male to a female. The other issue is that her hair hygiene may be costly and I do not provide stipend for personal hygiene.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As an at-will employer, you can choose how you want to inform the employee about this issue, as there is no 'legal' or 'illegal' way of doing so. And, if she refuses to comply, you could terminate her for her lack of hair hygiene.

That said, it's always best to appear as if the complaints aren't coming from you directly. So you can state that customers or co-workers have had issues with her hair, etc. It also isn't your obligation to pay for hair hygiene or anything. It is probably a matter of washing and combing her hair, which is not very expensive.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions