How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does pcs rate expemtion from overtime pay? How can pcs rate

Customer Question

Does pcs rate expemtion from overtime pay?

How can pcs rate expemtion from overtime pay?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Song,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Piece rate employment does not ever negate the law regarding overtime. Under the law, if your employee works more than 8 hours in a day, or more than 40 hours in a week, they are entitled to overtime. Also, piece work does not mean that minimum wage laws don’t have to be considered, because they do.

You are free to pay your employees a piece work wage, however they must be paid at least the equivalent of minimum wage, plus applicable overtime for all hours worked---regardless of the piece rate wage they might earn.

Piece rate work is intended to motivate employees who are already earning more than minimum wage. Under no circumstances may the piece rate system be used in an effort to potentially pay less than minimum wage under the law.


Even if you pay a piece work wage, you must still keep track of the hours worked by each employee to ensure that each pay period, they have been paid at least the minimum wage required under the law.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.


Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Good evening Song,

I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer to you was helpful to your understanding of the law, as regards your question.

If there anything else that I can assist you with, please feel free to ask. If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:

Thank you very much and take care.