Brandon, Esq.
Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
69271599

I have a valet parking company with 3 employes part-time. Do

I have a valet parking company with 3 employes part-time.
Do I need the worker's comp gor my company??
I'm in los angeles , CA.

Thank you

Brandon, Esq. :

Hello and thank you for your question today.

Brandon, Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Brandon, Esq. :

Welcome to the chat

Brandon, Esq. :

The short answer is yes, under Labor Code Section 3700 you must have workers compensation insurance as long as you have at least 1 employee. If you fail to have Workers’ Compensation Insurance for your employees, it can be expensive as the DLSE is required to issue and serve a stop order/penalty assessment prohibiting further use of employee labor until you do purchase Workers’ Compensation Insurance.

Brandon, Esq. :

You can end up paying a fine which is twice the amount you would have paid in workers compensation insurance premiums, or a fine per employee, whichever is greater. The only way you would not have to have workers compensation insurance is if you were the only one at the company.

Brandon, Esq. :

Or if you only hired independent contractors and not employees

Brandon, Esq. :

(which would not work given the nature of your company)

Brandon, Esq. :

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. If you do not require any further assistance, I would be most grateful if you would remember to provide my service a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Brandon, Esq. :

Have a wonderful rest of your day.

Brandon, Esq. :

More about the laws concerning this matter can be found here

Brandon, Esq. :

If you ever need to ask for me again, please feel free to do so here:

Brandon, Esq. :

Have a wonderful rest of your day.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your explanation. Was great.
Do you know the average amount charged in percentage?

I had a quote based on 75.000 payrol a year and the amount is 7.500. Basicly 10%. Thats good?
10% is actually extraordinarily high and you should be able to get something for a third of that. Go to:

www.insurance.ca.gov

Click on “Consumers”, “Compare Premiums”, “Information on the CA Workers’ Compensation Rate Comparison”, and click on the range of class codes that contains your governing class code. Use the bookmarks and Class Code Search feature to help navigate to specific class codes. It should range from around 3% to 5%

Good luck!