How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been offered a part time classified position with a

This answer was rated:

I have been offered a part time classified position with a local public school district with no health care or retirement benefits. I am a retired teacher with CalPers. The position is probationary for the first year. Does this qualify as a temporary postion that I am allowed to accept?

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Will you be working for a contract for a specific set amount of time or is your employment not have a set time limit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It has regular working hours M-F 3-6pm.

Hello Susan,

Sorry, to clarify, does the position have a specific ending date through a contract, or is it a permanent position (no contract or agreement limiting its term)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is during the school days only and it appears to be covered uder the CSEA contract with the district.

Hello Susan,

If the position is only for the school year and would need to be renewed at the end of the year, then it would definitely constitute a temporary employment position.

However, if the position is for an indefinite period of time, and it isn't necessary for you to be renewed for the position at the conclusion of the school year, then it most likely would be considered a permanent position, and would affect the amount of benefits you are eligible to receive from CALPERS while working.

I would suggest that you call CALPERS directly to ensure that the position is in compliance with temporary employment and won't affect you receiving CALPERS benefits while employed:

888 CalPERS (or(NNN) NNN-NNNN.

I would also suggest that you do determine whether the position is covered by the CSEA contract or not by asking the school district directly.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you