How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37684
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Not a duplicate question. This week will be my last week of work in Lo

This answer was rated:

This week will be my last week of work in Los Angeles. Home for me is New York. I am eligible to apply for Unemployment. I need to know if I should be apply in LA since I worked in LA full time, was paid in LA while with the company? Also what address should I use as a mailing address when submitting an online unemployment application? And what address should I put when it asks me if my residence address is the same as my mailing address? I will be leaving LA to go back to NY for good. Thank.

Good morning Mareena,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As a CA employee who leaves their job and is eligible for unemployment benefits, you will file for those benefits in CA. When you relocate, you will need a phone interview to let EDD know that you are relocation. Generally there is a week or two that EDD will not pay your benefits during the move as it is presumed that during the relocation process you are incapable of looking for employment in either CA or your new state.

When you first apply you use the address where you are physically located on the day of the application. As soon as you are ready to relocate, let EDD know that you are relocating and your new address---both for physical address and mailing address if they are different. (Be sure to inform the USPS of your new address in advance so that you mail is forwarded to you at your new residence in NY.)

Remember that to qualify for unemployment, you must continue to search for full time employment in NY and be willing and able to take a full time position.

If you cannot get through to EDD over the phone, you may always contact them by email and they will respond to your inquiry or request. Here is a link to the email system for requests:

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.



LawTalk and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Mareena. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have, or simply ask for me by name in the first sentence of your new question:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.

Related California Employment Law Questions