LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

can individuals be held responsible for unemployment payments

Customer Question

can individuals be held responsible for unemployment payments on independent contractors on a corporation that is out of business
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Glenn,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Would you please explain what you mean by your question? Individuals are not responsible for unemployment claims made by employees, and independent contractors are not entitled to unemployment benefit from the companies they contract with.

When you have responded fully to my inquiry, I will be in a better position to fully answer your question, so please do not rate my service to you until we have concluded out communication here.

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.

Hi Glenn,

I specifically indicated that I could not give you a complete answer until you responded to my inquiry. I am obligated to list my response to your question as an answer because it contained a statement of part of the applicable law.

In an attempt to assist you in understanding the process here I also stated:

If you would respond to my inquiry, I will be able to answer your question.

Doug