How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to know the exact steps that would help me to get the

Customer Question

I want to know the exact steps that would help me to get the attention of the labor dept to make an investigation into a massage parlor group of places owned by 1 or 2 Chinese men. these men threaten the unlawful presense works who have no green card or work papers to stay away from Church. I see that they are actually Christian and I brought one to church. she was told it was her last day and the boss also tells the people he is forced to live with not to let her stay. also the people she lives with force her to pay more than half the rent but she is 1 person and they are two people in the same apartment. she is forced to work 9 am to 9 pm and work overtime in all cases if people come late for massage and in all cases if there are people waiting she cannot take a break. she often cannot go out to eat. the labor dept will not give a hoot about people who are in the usa not paying tax and not allowed to work yes? so now what? she is in danger to go to china with an expired visa and she is in danger to go to china and say one word about Christian, they put people in jail. she came here to get away. she is in trouble with how her boss made her believe no need to worry about no visa. its all a boss who can barely speak English. he used these girls to get money to buy his house and cars. all very low tax. but its so hard to track any such cash. no names of people except for the visa card machines. even then. again how can I get her help if it only result is deportation or jail when its not her fault.? there are others in other locations but I don't know them closely. it just seems like they are the same. usually the government does not care about such third party unrelated complaints like as if I am a disgruntled employee. but my profession is finra arbitrator.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

What you are describing is a criminal law matter, not a Labor Commissioner issue.

You can call the sheriff or police in the city or county where the alleged forced labor is being performed. You can call Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), at (866) 347-2423, and report what you believe to be the illegal exploitation of undocumented alien workers. You can also call the FBI.

I realize that you may not want the workers to be subject to deportation. However, you cannot have it both ways. Some of the workers may be eligible for asylum status in the USA. But, they won't know until they are saved from their current circumstances. And, the only way that will happen is if their employers are arrested and charged with exploiting the undocumented alien workers.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Hope this helps.

Related California Employment Law Questions