How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retired from a career with the California Department of Fish

This answer was rated:

I retired from a career with the California Department of Fish and Game. Prior to 2006 I supervised 3 permanent staff and had responsibility for a relatively small geographic area and dealt with endangered species and the impacts upon them due to proposed water development projects. I always received superior performance appraisals. In 2006 there was a reorganization and I was given another 6 permanent staff and my geographic area of responsibility increased 15-fold. Too, the additional responsibility was in an field that I had no experience with - wildlife management. Adding to the burden of the increased and unfamiliar workload was the fact that the supervisor over me was not interested in wildlife, he was a fisheries biologist, so I had no support. Too, he on many occasions forwarded assignments to me that were due that day and in looking at the email I discovered he had had the assignment for up to two weeks.
I complained repeatedly to his supervisor and was told that he would talk to him but nothing changed. I talked to Human Resources and had no luck.
Because of the workload I retired in October 2010. After that the workload I had been responsible for was halved and one half went to a person that was promoted to one civil service classification higher than I had been; the other half went to someone already at that higher classification.
I hurt myself financially by retiring earlier than I had planned. Do I have any recourse?
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will continue to wait. Please let me know if you need additional information.


Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Were you over 40 years old when you were working for the employer? Did the employer replace you with significantly younger employees?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I was over 40; I retired (earlier than planned) when I was 59. The person who replaced me was somewhat younger, I'm guessing in his 40's. I don't believe that is the issue, though. The Department has a history of increasing the workload of those who are hard-working and when that person retires or quits to work elsewhere, that workload is reduced to entice a replacement. In my case that is what happened plus the replacement was promoted to a higher civil service classification.


I see. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

This practice could be construed as age discrimination to create a heavier workload for older workers so they retire and the employer can bring in younger workers to replace them. Unless the employer is violating a specific policy, this would typically be the only claim that could be made against the employer for engaging in this practice.

Unfortunately, a claim of age discrimination must normally be asserted within 300 days of the discriminatory act--which would be when you were replaced by significantly younger workers. Since you did not assert your claim within that period, it would now be time-barred I'm afraid.

Unless you can point to some other violation by the employer, their practice of overworking employees until they retire or leave would not typically provide grounds for recourse against the employer. I'm sorry.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when we have finished our communication. Thank you!


Tina, Attorney
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience: JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Tina and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.


Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.

Related California Employment Law Questions