California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

What steps must I take to ensure victory in a suit vs a large

corporation that it is a...
What steps must I take to ensure victory in a suit vs a large corporation that it is a hostile work environment?
8/31/2013
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

I'm not sure what you mean by the corporation being a hostile work environment.

Do you mean it's hostile due to discrimination against you (or others) based on a protected characteristic (such as race, gender, national origin, ethnicity, or sex)?

Or some other reason?

Please explain.
Hello Dustin,

You don’t appear to have the basis for a hostile work environment claim, as I have mentioned in my responses to your other questions.

However, if you believe that the work environment is hostile due to a protected characteristic, you would have a cause of action against your employer and would first need to file with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing.

They will investigate your complaint on your behalf and either file suit on your behalf or issue you a right to sue letter so you can pursue your claim against your employer through a private attorney.
As far as the steps to filing suit goes, you should really leave that to your attorney, who you can obtain after you receive your right to sue letter.

As far as success goes, that would depend on the facts of the case and how good your attorney is. There are no magic steps that would ensure victory, unfortunately.
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
For more information on what the necessary elements are for a hostile work environment see here:

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/understanding-workplace-harassment-fcc-staff
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Hello Dustin,

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions regarding the above information.

If not, please do remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work.
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer