How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

California. A friend of mine was self-employed in the last

This answer was rated:

California. A friend of mine was self-employed in the last two years. Filed tax return with self-employment taxes, social security and medicare. The income was about $30,000 a year for 2011 and 2012. Due to unforeseen change, he won't be able to continue his small business anymore. Can he claim unemployment benefit? How to apply for that? What number will he expect for maximum how long? Thank you !
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Unemployment taxes are not deducted for self-employed people, so I'm afraid your friend cannot receive any amount in unemployment benefits.

When self-employed people pay taxes only social security and medicare is taken out of their check. In order to have EDD withdraw unemployment and disability, a person needs to be employed by a separate company or entity and have it deducted from payroll.

I realize this is not the news you wanted to hear and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate an honest and direct answer to your question. It would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions