Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

California. A friend of mine was self-employed in the last

California. A friend of mine was self-employed in the last two years. Filed tax return with self-employment taxes, social security and medicare. The income was about $30,000 a year for 2011 and 2012. Due to unforeseen change, he won't be able to continue his small business anymore. Can he claim unemployment benefit? How to apply for that? What number will he expect for maximum how long? Thank you !
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Unemployment taxes are not deducted for self-employed people, so I'm afraid your friend cannot receive any amount in unemployment benefits.

When self-employed people pay taxes only social security and medicare is taken out of their check. In order to have EDD withdraw unemployment and disability, a person needs to be employed by a separate company or entity and have it deducted from payroll.

I realize this is not the news you wanted to hear and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate an honest and direct answer to your question. It would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.