California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

Does an employer in California have the ability to unilaterally

Customer Question
decrease paid mileage amounts. Ex...
Does an employer in California have the ability to unilaterally decrease paid mileage amounts. Ex. receiving federal maximum for eight years and then mileage reimbursement (.57 mile) was changed (.45 per mile) without explanation.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: California Employment Law
8/23/2013
California Employment Lawyer: Tina, Attorney replied 4 years ago
Tina, Attorney

Hello and welcome.

My name is Tina and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Does the lower rate reimburse employees for the actual expenses incurred by them in the course of their employment?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

no

I see. Thank you for clarifying that for me, Richard.

State law typically requires employers reimburse employees for costs incurred in the course of their employment, so if the new rate does not reimburse the employees for such costs, it would normally constitute a violation of state law.

To address the alleged violations, you may file a complaint with the state labor board or retain a local attorney to communicate a demand to the employer. Here is a link to a firm which handles such claims throughout California and provides a summary of the law on this issue:

http://www.californiawagelawyer.com/services/failure-to-reimburse/index.html

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Hello again Richard,
I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer was helpful in clarifying your understanding of the law even though it may not have resulted in the outcome you were hoping it would.
Is there anything else I can assist you with?
If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/
Thank you very much and all the best to you.
Tina, Attorney