California Employment Law

Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.

California Employment Law

I was terminated in june I believe because of my race and other

factors. my supervisor racially harassed...
I was terminated in june I believe because of my race and other factors. my supervisor racially harassed me during my employment there. she also had hepatitis c and the boss never informed me of this upon hireing me. I believe this is a violation because I had to work around sewing needles and razors and other sharp objects. now im afraid I may be dieing because I cut myself there more than once. I have no medical insurance. im going crazy and I need help.
8/19/2013
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

Did you file a complaint with the EEOC or the DFEH---which one?

Doug

hello. I didn't get a response from you. I said I filed a complaint with DFEH. what can you help me with?

Good afternoon David,

I am very sorry for the delay. I assure you that I did not ignore you. In fact your reply never posted to this thread. Unfortunately, this is a known site issue and they are aware of it, but as I don't work for JustAnswer and I do not control the site software, I have no control over when it will be fixed. Nor do I even know when a reply had not been posted to the question.

The issue of your boss having Hepatitis C, and the discrimination you claim are entirely separate issues, and I need to deal with them separately.

CA law does not require that co-employees be told that the person is infected with an infectious disease. The fact that you have to work around needles and other sharp objects does not legally change the situation. There was no law violated by keeping you in the dark about your boss's disease.

If you suffered a needle stick or cut at work while working with needles that were contaminated with your co-worker's blood, then you have the right to file a worker's compensation claim and be tested for any diseases that you might have contracted. Even if you no longer work there, you may make a claim within one full year of the cut or needle stick.

In terms of the complaint with the DFEH, they do not keep in contact with you. They will notify you on the completion of their investigation, and at any time if you tire of waiting, and you want to immediately go forward and sue your employer for discrimination, all you have to do is request a Right to Sue letter from the DFEH, and they will issue one to you. Here is a link to assist you in asking for your right to sue letter:

http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/Complaints_RTSNotice.htm

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
Good evening David,

I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer to you was helpful to your understanding of the law, as regards your question.

Is there anything else that I can assist you with, please feel free to ask. If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thank you very much and take care.

Doug
LawTalk, Attorney