How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, My living partner (opposite sex)of 8 years had to resign

This answer was rated:

My living partner (opposite sex)of 8 years had to resign from her job 4 months ago because we needed to relocate to another area for a new position I had to take. After 4 month, she has not been able to get a new job yet and has applied for unemployment benefits but was rejected on base that we were non-marital partners. Can this be appealed?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service.

Do you have a domestic partnership by any chance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A domestic partnership? You mean some kind of official document or type of registration as?

No, we just have lived together for the last 8 years.

So, can we appeal this?


Unfortunately, the law that allows for employees to quit their jobs and receive unemployment benefits due to a move of his or her significant other, only applies to spouses and 'domestic partners.' Although I certainly understand and think this is an unfair law, I'm afraid that you really don't have a basis for appeal under the current law.

You are free to appeal, of course, but it is unlikely that you will win the appeal. Unfortunately, while the law is unfair to people with partners and in long term relationships (especially as long as 8 years) who haven't been married, it is not illegal for the government to show preference for married couples (for instance, taxes, etc.)

I realize the above news is not what you wanted to hear, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.

Thanks and best of luck!

Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hello ,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service! It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question and/or requesting me directly in California Employment Law.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,