How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Regarding my last series of questions.. The judgement in puerto

This answer was rated:

Regarding my last series of questions.. The judgement in puerto Rico is in my name and the business name but there are multiple people with my name.. Another words the work commission in Pr does not have my ss #, address, DL number etc etc. Its like saying XXXXX XXXXX Who lives in the united states owes so and so $3,000. And the business is now incorporated and not in my name. And hopefully the business will be sold very soon. So I will not be associated with the business at all etc. What ate your thoughts? I know you said as long as I own no assets in Pr and as long as she does not fly to Texas and hire a lawyer to transfer the judgement over the judgment is kind of irrelevant and will not effect me..? Also I assume there is some kind of statue of limitations in Pr for civil judgements where this completely goes away after a certain amount years? Thanks
Hello Jeff,

It definitely significantly helps you that you are no longer associated with the business and that they don't have your social security number, name, address, etc. information. Although, I imagine that the government of Puerto Rico may have that information somewhere (assuming that you've been paying taxes, have a business license, etc.), so it's likely that the work commission (or the courts) would be able to determine that you are the correct "XXXXX XXXXX."

However, that would just mean that they may be able to track you down if you were in Puerto Rico. Otherwise, it would be necessary for your former employer to have the judgment domesticated in Texas in order to attempt to enforce the judgment.

The statute of limitations for judgments in Puerto Rico is 15 years, which is high compared to most states. So, unfortunately, although you'll be unlikely to have to pay the judgment, it will be around for a significant amount of time before the employee will be barred from collecting against you due to an expired statute of limitations in Puerto Rico.

As always, let me know if you have any follow up questions or clarifying questions. (I saw that another expert answered your previous question, despite you requesting me. If you put 'To Joseph' at the beginning of the question or extend the 'request' lock to 24 hours that should prevent that from happening in the future).

Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you