How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Regarding my last series of questions.. The judgement in puerto

Customer Question

Regarding my last series of questions.. The judgement in puerto Rico is in my name and the business name but there are multiple people with my name.. Another words the work commission in Pr does not have my ss #, address, DL number etc etc. Its like saying XXXXX XXXXX Who lives in the united states owes so and so $3,000. And the business is now incorporated and not in my name. And hopefully the business will be sold very soon. So I will not be associated with the business at all etc. What ate your thoughts? I know you said as long as I own no assets in Pr and as long as she does not fly to Texas and hire a lawyer to transfer the judgement over the judgment is kind of irrelevant and will not effect me..? Also I assume there is some kind of statue of limitations in Pr for civil judgements where this completely goes away after a certain amount years? Thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.

Good morning Jeff,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under Puerto Rico law, a judgment issued by a court in PR is valid for 15 years, and so one issued against you would be capable of being collected on, either in PR or in the US if the judgment creditor properly domesticated the judgment in a state where you live or have property, during that 15 year period.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am pretty sure I asked this question to a lawyer named Joseph
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.

Good morning Jeff,

I apologize if you you are upset that I answered your question. I assure you, that had I known that you directed this question to another expert I would of course allowed them to answer it.

There was no mention on the site that it was directed to anyone in particular, nor did you mention in the body of the question that it was intended for someone in particular. And neither was not asked in an already established question thread as a follow up question to which the earlier expert would have had exclusive access.

I simply had no way of knowing your intent, and so as with any other open question that I am capable of answering, I answered it for you. My answer is correct based on PR law, as well as US law to the extent that I discussed each of those laws.